Read old posts from this blog here....

Sunday, October 5, 2008

I think I CAN...I think I CAN...I think I CAN....




Hi! My name is Jen Benson. I'm a canning addict. I just can't stop.
It started with my friends Kacey and Alissa inviting me to can peaches with them. I've never had a desire to can before, but I thought since I live 20 minutes from Palisade, Co..famous for peaches...then I should at least try canning them.
Well..since then..I've done
-Peaches
-Tomatoes (my family went to a farm and picked them ourselves)
-apricots
-applesauce
-pears
-apple slices
And we just bought another box of pears last night.
It's a blast. My friend Alissa and I get together after our kids go to bed and we can like crazy. I don't know if I'm more addicted to the preparation of the food, seeing the finished product and how beautiful it looks, or just the little "pop" noise they make as they seal.
Just when I think I have it under control and put away all the canning supplies, I get a phone call from my friend Wendy (I call her my fruit dealer) telling me she can get 25 lbs of apples for $10.00. How do you say no to that? And then my Mom came up to visit last weekend and what did she bring? A huge bucket of Granny Smith apples picked from her very own tree. You just can't imagine how cute that was. Larry and I just finished canning them last night (around 11pm).
It's so much fun. Alissa and I even experimented (like pros) with the applesauce. We made flavored applesauce; strawberry, blueberry, mixed berry and cinnamon spice. We even entered our blueberry applesauce in the Fruita Fall Festival canning competition.
I love knowing exactly what went into the food also.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Whoa. That's awesome! That's something I need to get into, but don't have the supplies. Looks like fun!

Chanda Starr said...

That's really cool. Looks like a lot of work but great results to enjoy for a long time. My sister Angie called me the other night and said we should get into canning. She had been to a RS meeting and has the itch to give it a try. Unfortunately, she is in McPherson now. Guess I need to keep my eyes open for those good deals and supplies and give it a try.

Cornums said...

I am so proud of you Jen!!! Where did you get your pears Jen?

Jake and Erin said...

I am jealous. I haven't canned in a couple of years since my kitchen isn't finished. Canning is a lot of work, you and Alyssa make it look like fun. I also want to tell you I think Lauren is such a sweet girl. She sat up front when we delivered goodies for Activity Days and I really ejoyed the opportunity to get to know her better. She also told me a couple of fun stories!

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

Jen, you are the wind beneath my wings :)

markandkristen said...

Um, I take a different stand than then rest of your friends. I'm willing to help you find a 12-step program for your addiction. I'll stage an intervention before this gets too far out of hand. Oh wait, I think it already has. Just kidding. You're my hero, plus we love sampling. :)